Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day 1 Multiply

Part I: Living as a Disciple Maker
Week 1: What Is a Disciple?
Two thousand years ago, Jesus walked up to a handful of men and said, “Follow me.”  Imagine being one of those original disciples. They were ordinary people like you and me.  They had jobs, families, hobbies, and social lives. As they went about their business on the day Jesus called them, none of them would have expected their lives to change so quickly and completely.  Iʼm sure the disciples didnʼt know what they were getting into when they accepted Jesusʼ call. Whatever expectations or doubts, whatever curiosity, excitement, or uncertainty they felt, nothing could have prepared them for what lay ahead. Everything about Jesus—His teaching, compassion, and wisdom; His life, death, and resurrection; His power, authority, and calling— shaped every aspect of the rest of their lives.
In only a few years, these simple men were standing before some of the most powerful rulers on earth and being accused of “turning the world upside down” (Acts 17:6). What began as simple obedience to the call of Jesus ended up changing their lives, and ultimately, the world.

What Is a Disciple?
What does it mean to be a disciple of Jesus Christ? As you will discover, the answer is fairly simple, but it could change your life completely.  The word disciple refers to a student or apprentice. Disciples in Jesusʼ day would follow their Rabbi (which means teacher) wherever he went, learning from the Rabbiʼs teaching and being trained to do as the Rabbi did. Basically, a disciple is a follower, but only if we take the term “follower” literally. Becoming a disciple of Jesus is as simple as accepting His call to follow.  When Jesus called His first disciples, they may not have understood where Jesus would take them or the impact it would have on their lives, but they knew what it meant to follow Him.  They took it literally and began going everywhere He went and doing everything He did.  
Itʼs impossible to be a disciple or a follower of someone and not end up like that person.  Jesus said, “A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher” (Luke 6:40). Thatʼs the whole point of being a disciple of Jesus: We imitate Him, carry on His ministry, and become like Him in the process.  Yet somehow many Christians have come to believe that a person can be a “Christian” without being like Christ. A “follower” who doesnʼt follow. It doesnʼt make a lot of sense, if you think about it. Many people in the church have decided to take on the name of Christ and nothing else. This would be like Jesus walking up to those first disciples and saying, “Hey, would you guys mind identifying yourselves with me in some way? Donʼt worry, I donʼt actually care if you do anything I do or change your lifestyle at all. Iʼm just looking for people who are willing to call themselves Christians.” Seriously?

No one really believes that this is all it means to be a Christian. But then why do so many Christians live this way? It appears that weʼve lost sight of what it means to be a follower of Jesus. The concept isnʼt difficult to understand, but it requires everything.

1. Up to this point in your life, would you call yourself a follower of Jesus Christ? Why do you say that?

6 comments:

  1. 1. No, I do not see myself as a follower of Jesus. Not yet, atleast. I say that because I havent obeyed His commandments and even really listening to him, but I'm starting to by going to church, making myself honor my parenylts, trying my best not to curse, and enjoying what has to offer.
    -Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Everything about Jesus—His teaching, compassion, and wisdom; His life, death, and resurrection; His power, authority, and calling— shaped every aspect of the rest of their lives… They took it literally and began going everywhere He went and doing everything He did… Many people in the church have decided to take on the name of Christ and nothing else."

    These were some points that stuck out to me. I would say I’m a follower or disciple of Christ. I actually say that instead of saying I’m a Lutheran or a Christian. But even to this day I get this wrong. The life, death and resurrection is supposed to shape EVERY aspect of our lives. But, so many times I only let it shape the parts I want it to shape. There have been times and places where I did not want to let Him in.

    How many of us listen to worship music, podcasts, read etc. We go to church and talk about it like a movie… “Did you like it? How was it? How was the music?” All of that is good, but our WHOLE lives remain unaffected. As we talk or listen to our podcasts have we ever ignored someone? The stranger that may need to be loved or hear the Good News of Christ? Following Jesus I’ve found is so much more than going to church and reading your Bibles, which are all good btw, but as a disciple you’d actually be following Him all day; doing what He did, talking to people He’d be talking to. In school, in work, driving, at the store, eating out, in public with strangers I keep asking myself…How would Jesus be encountering the Father and these people here? How would He be loving them? This may sound extreme, but actually following Him isn’t easy and this is Scriptural and somewhere we as the church have lost this along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the majority of my life up until now I would have to say that I have not been a true disciple. More recently though, I've been trying to live like a true disciple of Jesus Christ. I have been pursuing Him much more this school year though prayer and getting into the word. The most difficult part of being a follower is definitely the part where I am called to live like a follower in Christ on a day to day basis. This is the area that I know I can always be improving on by how I act and what I say every day. I need to learn to never put aside my identity as a follower of God and stand firm in my faith before others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was extremely convicting for me because I think it shines light on something that I struggle with regularly and especially in the last month or so. I think that I choose to follow Christ in certain areas of my life and in others I choose to follow things of this world, so in short my answer to this question would be no, I do not fully follow Christ, despite believing in Him. I think that it is easier said than done to be a follower of Christ and I think that it takes a conscious decision that someone has to make every day until it truly becomes natural and a routine. There are many areas of my life that I could improve on in order to become a better follower of Christ, but the main area that I would like to focus on is getting in to the word, which is why I am excited to start this study.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been a huge struggle of mine lately. Recently, I have been really working on allowing God to be present in everything I do because I often find myself picking and choosing what I want Him to be involved in and what I want Him to change. I constantly struggle with being a follower of Christ rather than just claiming to be Christian because that's what is easier and that's what I had done growing up.
    The point that stuck out to me was that Itʼs impossible to be a disciple or a follower of someone and not end up like that person. I immediately thought of Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.
    How awesome would it be to see God transform us into his image, into exactly how he desired us to be and no longer be a prisoner to the sin of this world because our eyes are set on God?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just recently, I've been practicing letting God take over. He has blessed me with so much and I try my very, very hardest to appreciate every little thing He does and live an ideal life that is pleasing to Him. I'd like to consider myself a follower of Jesus Christ, but EVERY thing in my life being molded after Jesus is so difficult. I do try my best to attain this, but sin, lack of motivation, and prioritization get the best of me in some cases.

    It has to be a decision to make at every moment of every day. Even with the increase in effort that I give, I've noticed things becoming way different in my life. If this is how great it is now... I can only imagine later when I've grown stronger.

    ReplyDelete