Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day 11 Living As Disciple Makers

Just as baptism is more significant than we might think, so teaching people to obey Jesusʼ commands is an enormous task. Realistically, this will require a lifetime of devotion to studying the Scriptures and investing in the people around us. Neither of these things is easy, nor can these things be checked off of a list. We are never really “done.” We continually devote ourselves to studying the Scriptures so that we can learn with ever-greater depth and clarity what God
wants us to know, practice, and pass on. We continually invest in the people around us, teaching them and walking with them through lifeʼs joys and trials.

We never “finish” the discipleship process. Itʼs much like raising a child: though there comes a day when they are ready to be on their own, the relationship doesnʼt end. The friendship
continues and there will always be times when guidance and encouragement are still needed. In addition to that, God continually brings new people into our path, giving us fresh opportunities to start the discipleship process all over again.

Following Jesus by making disciples isnʼt difficult to understand, but it can be very costly. Jesusʼ teachings are often difficult to stomach. By sharing His teachings, we are often rejected along with His message. Jesus said:

If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember
the word that I said to you: “A servant is not greater than his master.” If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. (John 15:18-20)

Again, itʼs easy enough to understand, but it can be extremely costly.

4. Would you say that youʼre ready to commit yourself to studying the Scriptures and investing in the people around you? Why or why not?

1 comment:

  1. I'm all in! I'm finding joy in reading the Scriptures cover to cover, even Leviticus! I'm continually learning deeper meaning of Jesus' words and I love to share them with my friends and students I work with.

    I'm committed to the making of disciples as well. Finding that person that is willing to commit to something is rare. I've only come across a handful over the years. But, it's amazing when it happens!!!

    ReplyDelete